Friday, May 21, 2010

The Grand Hotel Brighton



Here's a picture of my from the outside. I haven't heard any history about it yet, but it seems like a nice enough hotel.



One you go inside it continues the fancy look. It has a large set of winding stairs that go upwards in a square. Each landing has a set of rooms, first on the sea side, then on the opposite. Unfortunately I got a room on the opposite side, so no sea views for me.

After staying here I wonder if all the finery in the old palaces of Europe were also made solely out of plaster. Overall it gives a nice effect, but if you look at any specific piece it looks kind of chintzy.



And while it tries to be a nice hotel, the rooms are fairly sparse. Here's a picture of my double bed. It's not really a full mattress, it's just two twins stacked side by side. And there's no clock in the whole room, except for the little display on the 13" television. At least it encourages me to not spend much time there. Unfortunately work has a meeting room that has an Xbox 360, PS3, and a Wii, along with a 48" flat screen LCD television with 7 channel sound. So it's fair to say that even though my hotel doesn't have a TV, I have a very nice TV to watch when I want. It even has BBC iPlayer so I can watch Top Gear and Doctor Who.




This is a picture of the bathroom. Again, they're trying to be fancy but just falling short. Notice that one of the tiles in the floor is missing. It's tripped me up more than once in the morning. Also, for some reason the shower curtains are weird. Even though there are two of them, neither of them is plastic/nylon. So each time I take a shower they try to stick to me like wet clothing and they leak all over the bathtubs wooden panelling near the floor.

The toilets here are slightly strange. I think they were the same as the ones in France. They're not the poop-platters that you see in Bulgaria, but they're not exactly like American/Canadian toilets either. I wonder if due to the intimate nature of toilets that everyone is a little put off by strange toilets, or I'm just special.

No comments:

Post a Comment